Friday, January 26, 2007
Hearty Maple Beans
* 6 bacon strips, diced
* 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or smoked Polish sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
* 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (15 ounces) butter beans or 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
* 1/2 cup maple syrup
* 3 tablespoons white vinegar
* 3 tablespoons ketchup
* 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, cook the sausage and onion over medium-heat until sausage is lightly browned. Stir in the bacon and remaining ingredients.
Transfer to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Recipe from Quick Cooking Magazine ... although I have made it for so long, I don't know what issue it is from.
The bacon can be reduced. For the picture version, I only used two slices.