Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I hate days like today.

It is days like today that I wish I could have just stayed in bed. First of all, Jason is sick, never a good thing. Second, the weather was crappy last night, I could barely see the road on the drive home with all the wind and snow. That meant that today, again, Jason and I would have to ride in together. For those of you that are familiar with it, the reason for me having to ride with Jason would be the '94 Camaro that I still drive. It still runs and I don't have to make car payments on it... but on days like today, I curse it. There were the normal stupid drivers and obnoxious vanity plates (seriously, do you have to have 'DBL MPG' on you license plates when you drive a Toyota Prius HYBRID)... just a pet peeve of mine.
It was an all around crappy day at work. I was done before Jason so I had to wait for an hour to go home. Of course I didn't feel like cooking when we got home so we ordered Chinese.... General Tso's chicken and Szechuan Tofu and veggies. Jason is resting and I am praying that I don't get sick too. I hope everyone is staying warm and healthy!

2 comments:

Ken said...

The next time the weather is bad and you want to try a good, easy recipe, try this one if you like General Tso's chicken. It's supposed to serve 6 but it's good for 2 if you're hungry!

Ingredients:
***Sauce:***
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger root
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup cooking wine
1 1/2 cup hot chicken broth
1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (optional)

***Meat:***
3 pounds deboned dark chicken meat, cut into large chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 egg
1 cup cornstarch
Vegetable oil for deep-frying...olive oil doesn't work well for this dish...
2 cups sliced green onions
16 small dried hot peppers

Directions:

Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with water. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, vinegar, wine, chicken broth and MSG (if desired). Stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed. In separate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white pepper. Stir in egg. Add 1 cup cornstarch and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly. Add cup of vegetable oil to help separate chicken pieces. Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-fry at 350 degrees until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot. Add onions and peppers and stir-fry briefly. Stir sauce and add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens.

Anonymous said...

That Chinese food looks DELICIOUS!!