Saturday, February 24, 2007
(14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/3 cup slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds
3 garlic cloves, quartered
2 canned jalapeno peppers, drained
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 ground coriander
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up and skinned
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds or almonds (to garnish)
1. In a blender container or food processor bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, onion, nuts, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cocoa powder, raisins, sesame seeds, sugar, salt and spices.
2. Cover and blend until mixture is a coarse puree.
3. In the crock pot, place the tapioca.
4. Add chicken and then the sauce.
5. Cover, and cook on low for 9 hours.
6. Serve with hot cooked rice.
7. and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds
I received this recipe from my coworker, Steve (the same guy who gave me the huevos rancheros recipe) This was amazing. I didn't cook it for 9 hours, only five. I used 3 split chicken breasts, with the bones but I removed the skin. I used slivered almonds instead of pumpkin seeds, and I chopped up one fresh jalepeno and used 1-2 chipotle en adobo. I guess I should also mention that I used golden raisins instead of regular raisins.